Tuesday 6 August 2024

Finally saw a deer in the wild!

 I always love running Entwistle and Wayoh Reservoirs. They have both flat and undulating sections and are set in beautiful countryside of my native Bolton. Tall trees survey your progress as you circumnavigate the two lakes. 

The great railway viaduct casts looming shadows onto the calm, still water below. I marvel at the fact that a structure nigh on 200 years old still stands strong. Despite the majesty though, I feel I must still complain. The water levels on both lakes were painfully low. I think on Entwistle they were doing some kind of restructuring work. I am unsure about Wayoh- maybe we simply haven’t seen that much rain recently. 
Even sadder than that was the great absence of trees around Entwistle. I have mentioned this previously. The trees that have been removed were suffering from some kind of infection and so had to be culled. It will take years before the area is back to its best. 
As for my run- I was overall satisfied with my efforts over an undulating, uneven 10km. Humid conditions seem to be trickier to run in that out and out heat. The connecting path between the two reservoirs is firstly a welcome downhill, but then on the way back from Wayoh back to Entwistle it represents a much trickier climb. Something that stopped me in my tracks though was the sight of a deer in the wild- something I had never seen before today  





Steven is an alcohol free runner. He has run 332 miles this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment