Wednesday 20 April 2022

JEFFING?! The answer to your prayers…

 Well, simply put, if you are struggling to find form due to injuries then JEFFING could well be the answer to your prayers! 

I had almost given up completely on running. I’d gained weight, struggled with injuries and felt a shadow of my former self. 

Then a colleague told me about Jeffing. 

What’s that? I asked- having already given up running in my head. 

Well you simply do interval training… I’d done intervals before and I remember them being terrifically painful. 

I think she gleaned as much from my face.

Oh no- they’re not like regular intervals- 500 fast then 100 slow. No you simply run for thirty seconds, then walk for thirty and repeat this for as long as you are running for- it’s been a godsend to me! 

I was still sceptical but agreed to give it a go. So there I was running for 30, walking for 30 and I continued this for approximately 15 minutes. To be honest, I was a convert right away. My calves are a real hotspot for me so the walk period gave them a chance for recovery- so I was able to go further and for longer. I played about with the lengths of time I ran for- sometimes I ran for 1 minute then walked for a minute, sometimes 2 minutes. Everything felt great.

In terms of cardiovascular health, my heart rate was constantly increasing and decreasing- which I am led to believe improves your cv health. For me though, the normal pressure I feel to not ‘give up’ by stopping was completely removed- the idea is to stop! This enabled me to actually enjoy my run without blowing through my backside desperately trying to keep going. 

I would normally be completely done in after only a 30 minute 3 miler- such are the depths that I have fallen. However, doing jeffing allowed me, as an injury prone runner to complete 4.5 miles in 50 minutes. Yes it wasn’t as strenuous as a normal run, but it will allow me to build my fitness and strength back up. I will definitely be doing this type of run more often than not as I look to return to the times I used to do 10 years ago. 

I would recommend this exercise- especially for those looking to get over injuries or people who need to shift some weight. It’s not for everyone but it is certainly worth a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment