Thursday 22 May 2014

Running Geek Takes to the Fells!

As a roadrunner, I have always been dead against fell-running. I am very much about times and pace which is why roadrunning is perfect for me. I always thought those loose stones on the tracks would be key candidates for ankle snapping, and don't even get me started on the boggy bits!

However, basking in the early evening sunshine, I thought to myself, why the hell not? Sure there are some pretty tough hills to climb, but the scenery on the hills is to die for- and the moors are just on my doorstep...

I would be lying if I said that I wasn't tempted. As fate would have it, my running club- Radcliffe AC- (www.radcliffeac.org.uk) were running an experimental/taster fell session that evening. I jumped into the car and drove eagerly to the meeting point.


Still a little nervous and apprehensive, and very aware of the tales of death and destruction that go hand in hand on the moors, the group set off... straight up the nearest hill! And this was a taster session??? After a few minutes of climbing, despite the screaming pain in my thighs, I had the fell-running bug and make no mistake! To be away from the roads was very refreshing- the silence and fresh air were amazing! 

At our first checkpoint, as I stood breathing through my backside, hands on my knees, I looked across at the panoramic views... then picked my jaw up off the floor! The great county of Lancashire was visible in all of its glory in every direction. This, my running friends, was beauty itself! If I unsure about fell-running before, I was definitely sure as I drank in the rolling countryside that surrounded me. 

If the hill climbs were tough, then the down hill descents were purely exhilarating. The Pepsi Max Big One has nothing on this! Just letting yourself fly (almost!) down the side of a hill was absolutely breath-taking; scary though, but breath-taking!

On a serious note however, yes the fells are amazing, but for beginners like me, you must ALWAYS make sure that until you are very familiar with your surroundings, it is imperative to run with an experienced colleague. The weather was glorious on my fell debut, but the weather can, and often does, change in a matter of seconds. So if this does happen, an experienced runner will be able to guide you to safety. Secondly, you must ALWAYS carry a bumbag containing a whistle, compass, a map, emergency food and a change of clothes should the worst happen.

You can follow the Running Geek on Twitter @stevenlomax2. Alternatively, sign up to follow this blog, or contact the Running Geek directly on stevenlomax1984@gmail.com. You can also check on the Running Geek's progress on Strava under Steven Lomax




No comments:

Post a Comment